A FIRE at the state's largest piggery has led to the deaths of more than 900 pigs.
They died after a blaze sparked by rodents eating through wiring, causing it to short circuit, in a shed at the Westpork facility at Boonanarring, near Gingin about 4pm yesterday.
A Fire and Emergency Services Authority spokesman said the blaze caused $400,000 damage.
About 800 the dead animals were piglets, with the rest sows.
A firefighter was also hospitalised with smoke inhalation, but has since been released.